Friday 21 December 2012

Why do you use a wheelchair if you can walk?!

Last night I went to a party with my friends. There were a lot of people I didn't know. I got asked the question "Why do you use a wheelchair when you can walk?" Or "Weren't you just in a wheelchair?". I don't mind people asking.

I answered "Well I can't walk long distances because I have a connective tissue disorder Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and all my joints dislocate" I then got asked by someone "What stops them coming out if you are just standing" I then answered "Nothing, but there it a greater chance if I am walking".

I am glad people ask because then they are informed about EDS and don't make the assumptions like, faker,  lazy and all the other things that people think.

I understand it is weird I am in a wheelchair sometimes and others I am walking. But it is my life and to me it is NORMAL. Having an invisible illness is hard because no one can tell something is wrong with me as to why I use a wheelchair. So I know it looks weird... but it is my life and that is the reality of having an invisible illness.

Hugs,
Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment